Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

An Interview with Alexander Grant

Tell us why should anyone read your book:
First, because fantasy is an entertaining read. Each author offers something different to stimulate the reader's imagination. My book, The Forbidden City, is written in a cinematographic manner. By that I mean that several readers commented that they felt like seeing a movie unfolding through its pages. I also introduce an element which is rarely found in fantasy, shamanism. The various kinds of magic that can be found in the book are weaved together in a harmonious way and are also explained logically. Nevertheless, the notion of the need for the presence of a shaman in order to 'anchor' someone between different time frames is, I think, unique.
A reader wrote to me that she will discuss the messages of the book with her kids. She was referring to the life lessons I introduced in the story, like the importance of strategic thinking and acting, the comments about the various political systems and the message against all forms of racism.
Another element, which for me is very important, is the fully developed characters. I intend to keep writing books with these characters so I did not want them to be two-dimensional. From the various comments I saw that readers appreciate the depth and variety of the characters. In my second book, The Lion Prophecy, I develop even more the characters of Leandros and Helena.
Finally the story: The book starts as a usual sword and sorcery story but it gradually turns into a mystery tale which reserves surprises till the very end. For the lovers of epic battles I should mention that only the siege part covers 34 pages of the paperback. The really original element in the battle scenes is of course strategy. I picture the King's Lion as a master strategist. I can also assure the romance lovers that they will not be disappointed.
Why did you decide to write Epic Fantasy?
I love playing basketball. I often picture offence in basketball as a kind of siege, where the attackers must drive the defenders off-balance and strike where and when they least expect it. For this reason, I have always wanted to write a siege scene, but was too lazy to do it, until my wife suggested to me to write something in order not to look so bored during Christmas. So one winter day, there I was, writing down the scene that had existed ever since at the back of my mind.
Once I had the first draft ready, I found myself facing the unavoidable question. Who are these people and why are they being besieged?
Before I knew it, I found myself in front of my pc screen again, writing what seemed to be a simple story. And then Leandros arrived.
Since a young age, I have felt passionate about strategy. I read the works of Sun Tzu, Julius Caesar, Von Clausewitz, even Miyamoto Musashi. I studied the strategies of Von Moltke, Patton and Rommel, trying to imagine how they approached warfare. I even researched battles like Little Bighorn or Alexander’s battle of the Hydaspes.

Needless to say, I was playing PC strategy games. So, I guess the King’s Lion is, to a certain extent, a product of this interest.
On what concerns magic, I had, since young, an interest in oriental approaches like Zen and Taoism and, for me unavoidably, about the very ancient practices of shamanism. I managed to combine, in The Forbidden City, various forms of magic, together with shamanism and astrology. There will be much more on that in other books.

Who is your favorite author of Epic Fantasy?
If I have to choose only one, it would be David Gemmell. I love very much his Drenai Tales. I enjoy a lot his writing style. He uses only as many words as necessary to tell THE story, without writing un-necessary things just to fill more pages.

What can we expect from you?
The way my second book, The Lion Prophecy builds upon The Forbidden City, my third book, which I am currently writing, will built upon the two previous ones. Furthermore, in this book I will plant the seeds for the fourth book which I hope will be majestically Epic.

The Forbidden City (The King's Lion Book 1)


Filled with magic, mystery, romance and spectacular battles, 
this is the first epic adventure of the King's Lion 

Hunted by his own legions, the undefeated General Leandros, the King's Lion, seeks refuge in the mysterious land of Indra. But sanctuary comes at a high price. 

An ancient evil plunges the world into warfare and bloodshed and Leandros must use his military genius if he is to prevail. 

With assassins lurking behind every corner, he must protect the woman he loves and defeat the ruthless usurper who murdered his own brother, the King. 

In a world full of intrigue and enchantment, where Gods and humans play dangerous power games, the King's Lion fights one breathtaking battle after another across an entire continent. The future of the Empire depends on him. 




THE LION PROPHECY (The King's Lion Series Book 2)




THE KING'S LION IS BACK IN A SWASHBUCKLING ADVENTURE! 

After years of fighting, peace reigns over the Eagle Empire. General Leandros is enjoying a romantic vacation with his wife at sea when a mysterious sea captain, the Mask, abducts them, asking for their help to free his fellow islanders from slavery. 

Leandros and Helena start training the islanders, conducting daring raids on land and sea to free the slaves. Their only allies are a powerful sea-witch and a savage crew of ex-pirates. 

Breathtaking duels and fierce battles turn the tide in favour of the islanders until the enemy monarch sends his Grand Fleet to subdue them. With only two ships and a handful of men, the King's Lion faces a terrifying challenge. The future of an entire nation lies in his hands. 



Biography

After a long career working in the media and with international organisations, which took him across four continents, Alexander has combined two of his great passions, writing and strategy, to produce the King's Lion Tales. The books, in order of publication, are:

THE FORBIDDEN CITY
THE LION PROPHECY 

Alexander is currently writing the third book in the series.
Find out more in his Basketball Diaries blog at www.alexandergrant.eu or follow him on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderGrant.EU/) and Twitter (@AlexGrant_EU)


No comments:

Post a Comment